[arch-dev-public] new gcc compiler in testing, better java support now

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Tue May 1 17:29:35 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 20:48 +0200, Andreas Radke wrote:
> Am Mon, 30 Apr 2007 15:10:00 +0200
> schrieb Jan de Groot <jan at jgc.homeip.net>:

> hm. i think it's not worth to risk any breakage at this moment.
> gcc4.2.0 has reached rc2 and shouldn't be that far away. i dislike
> taking over that much patches from another distribution just to make it
> right now work with the backported gcj-ecj.
>
> i suggest to wait for gcc4.2.0 release to ship that with java5
> support. should be less risky and will probably work without that damn
> long patchlist.

These patches are either backports from 4.2.0 or regression fixes in
4.1.2. I looked carefully at which patches to merge, many of debians
patches are not useful for us since we either don't support those
architectures or don't have any use for them (we don't have ada
compilers for example).
The patch that introduces the 4.2.0 symbol is actually a fixed version
of what we were using for that dwarf-2 backport I made a long while ago.

About 4.2.0: there's some regressions in that release, they're releasing
that anyways. We will have to wait for java 5.0 support again, as 4.2.0
doesn't merge it. Instead, we have to pick stuff from fedora's branch
anyways with 4.2.0, putting us in the same position as we're now.