[arch-dev-public] [objectives] Package triage on current + extra (archstats)

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Sun May 6 20:28:53 EDT 2007

I know we weren't supposed to rush into the objectives here before
settling on the goals, but I think this is an important one to
examine, especially with a change in the repository structure
happening in the coming months.

How many of the devs are using archstats, let alone users? After
looking at it a bit more today, I realized this could be a great asset
to finding areas where devs should be spending their time with regard
to package maintenance. It would also help us out greatly when it
comes to determining which packages should no longer be maintained by
us and dropped back to the TU level and/or unsupported.

However, a few things need work:
1. The current website
<http://www.archlinux.org/~simo/archstats/index.php> is in dire need
of an overhaul. Using the old website theme is the least of our
worries- things like the package listing are at this point rather
unusable and only suck 223 MB of memory in Firefox once fully loaded.
I have a lot of ideas for this here- enable breakdown by pkgname only
(so it actually looks like people are running kernel26), limit number
of results on the page unless someone actually selects to see them
all, etc.
2. The archstats database. It contains several one-time system
updates, and several systems that haven't updated since 2005 or
earlier. This is clearly junk data, and to make archstats useful we
should probably just start fresh, and find a way to cut down on
spurious commits, which leads into...
3. The archstats program itself. In the last week, I've had no
problems with it, but have had problems before (some of the spurious
commits above were definitely my fault). Configuration should probably
be editable in a conf file (the current /etc file has a big fat
warning saying do not edit by hand- this seems not the Arch Way).
Setting it up as a cron job is straightforward, but if we want people
to use it we should probably think of a way to make it even easier.

Comments on any of this? I know its yet another project idea to be
thrown out there, but this one could prove very helpful and in the
long run vastly reduce dev maintenance of package when we realize very
few users are actually using a package and it should be maintained
elsewhere.

-Dan