[arch-dev-public] thoughts about next release

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Mon May 7 16:31:24 EDT 2007

2007/5/7, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa at gmx.de>:
> Am Sonntag 29 April 2007 schrieb Roman Kyrylych:
> > Hi!
> >
> > As Tobias said: "kernel 2.6.21 series is now in testing, it will be
> > the kernel series for next release".
> >
> > According to the schedule published by Paul repositories
> > reorganization will be finished not earlier than in the middle of
> > Summer.
> >
> > And in this announcement http://www.archlinux.org/news/308/
> > we said that "When the next kernel 2.6.22 is released, we will push
> > out a new ISO image".
> >

> > So, here's how I see variants for next release:
> >
> > 1) release new ISOs based on 2.6.21, using the current scheme
> > (ftp+base+current) additional possible changes:
> > * provide snapshot of extra (and community?) for download via BitTorrent
> > * FTP reorder as described here:
> > http://www.archlinux.org/mailman/private/arch-dev/2007-March/005087.html
> >
> > 2) wait until 2.6.22 (hopefully it will be released after repositories
> > reorganization) or even a bit longer and release new ISO set:
> > core & ftp as CDs and main(extra) + community snapshots as DVDs.
> >
> > Changes that should be done in any case:
> > * remove release version and codename from /etc/issue
> > * remove /etc/arch-release
> > * call new release as "ISO release" or "snapshot" instead of "Arch release"
> > * make users understand that there's no such thing as "release" in
> > Arch Linux. :-)
> Hi guys,
> my idea of next ISO with .21 kernel and for Linuxtag 2007:
> - pacman3 should be on it, aaron when you move it in?
> - release it like 0.8 with base,current and ftp till SCM and core move has
>  been done in summer.
> - 0.8 will die, what was the consensus: 05-2007 <cool-snapshotname>?
>  rc.sysinit and arch-release should contain this consensus then.
> - ftp server need to be prepared for this then
>  anything else i missed?
>
> cool-snapshot name, any suggestion?
> We have now 1-2 weeks or so until final ISO should be built.

As I said in previous message already - IMO /etc/arch-release and
snapshot name from /etc/issue should be removed.
What's the point of updating those things with Arch's rolling release system

About snapshot scheme:
I suggest 2007-05 - it's better than 05-2007 because of easy sorting
:-P, and doesn't contain redundant info.

Also, IMO it would be nice to have i686 and x86_64 titles as on this
CD cover by PJ:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=247503#p247503

Some cool name would be nice too (though not necessary) but IMO
putting the cool name into filename.iso is redundant.

It would be nice to have ftp server cleaned at ISO release time.
Right now current points to 0.8 which was not the case before. I
cannot find 0.8 release snapshot on FTP.

After some thinking I come to conclusion that keeping every last (and
only) release snapshots is useful but only with extra & community
snapshots. Otherwise there's not need in them IMO
Making those snapshots available on DVDs would be nice for users that
don't have enought bandwidth & money for paid traffic and would like
to order full working [1] snapshot of all available binary packages to
setup useable working environment.

[1] probably partially, because some deps may be broken at the time of
snapshotting, but that's minor issue.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)