[arch-dev-public] Next Developer Meeting

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Wed May 9 10:58:25 EDT 2007

2007/5/9, Alexander Baldeck <kth5 at archlinuxppc.org>:
> Jason Chu wrote:
> > That works well for the english speaking developers.  The non-native
> > speakers already have enough trouble keeping up on irc, I'm pretty sure a
> > live chat would be even more difficult for them.
> >
> > Jason
> >

> I would love to do this though. From my experience having actually
> talked to people makes a huge difference in a good way. Linuxtag helped
> me - and I would expect all the others as well - to understand text only
>   communication from people better as in judging what kind of mood
> they're in. This I think is a rather big problem we have, mails that
> sound like ranting may not be a rant at all, right?
>
> +1 from me for the voip chat
>
> Any other solutions than teamspeak though?

I agree that voice communication is much better.
Here are few issues I'd like to point out:
1) bandwidth and connection stability
- will dev with a bad connection be able to really participate in communication?
(I mean what if voice just dissapers for few or more seconds or worse
- regularly?)
if someone has experience with teamspeak on not-very-good connections
- please share your opinions
Will be 4-8KB/s enought?

2) the level of understability of native-spoken English by
non-English-speaking devs
- it would be nice if native English speakers try to speak sharp and
not fast in any situations ;-)

3) how we will record the meeting? :-P
- are there built-in features in server/client or there is some workaround?

nevertheless +1
(though as a last resort IRC would be OK too )

-
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)