[arch-dev-public] pacman upgrade issue (was: ArchLinux [current] status)

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed May 9 14:18:32 EDT 2007

On 5/9/07, Jason Chu <jason at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 12:52:31PM -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> > Jason, can you take this task on? I want to
> > a) figure out a solution to the pacman upgrade issue
> > b) deal with the package cleanup
> > So I don't have huge amounts of time to spare at the moment.
>
> I am also lacking in time.  Can you explain the pacman upgrade issue a
> little better (there was a bug report about it at one point, right?)?
>
> I will make sure something gets done, but I doubt I'll be the one to do it.

Here we go.  I was about to move pacman 3 to current last night and
realized there is a minor show-stopper in the upgrade path.

The way pacman 2.X works, when it finds an upgrade for itself, it
removes _ALL_ additional targets from the list and adds pacman.  At
this point, deps have already been resolved.

So, the new pacman depends on libdownload and libarchive.  Clearing
out the target list also removes these.  So pacman will download
pacman3, then try to install it, and fail because dependencies are
missing.

This is not a critical issue, as one can easilly -S those two, but it
is not clean.  When this moves to current, there will be many people
with problems, and not everyone checks the news items / reads the
forums.

The use case will go as follows:
pacman -Syu
"New pacman is available, upgrade? [Y/n]" Y
...download pacman 3...
Whoops, cannot find dependencies "libdownload" or "libarchive", failing
"Hmmm, wtf?"
pacman -S libdownload libarchive
pacman -Syu

Again, this is not critical, not fatal, and not a big deal, it is just
messy.  I want to figure out if there is some good way to do this, but
I do not think so.