[arch-dev-public] pacman upgrade issue

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed May 9 14:47:04 EDT 2007

On 5/9/07, Jason Chu <jason at archlinux.org> wrote:
> > > Can we release a new version of pacman 2.X that downloads deps of pacman
> > > when it finds a pacman update?  I don't know how much work this is.
> >
> > The problem there is that in order for that to work, that 2.X release
> > would need to remain in the repos for a while, to ensure that most
> > users have an upgradeable version.  If we put the new 2.X release out
> > there for, say, a week, some users might miss the upgrade and run into
> > the same issue.
>
> Very true.  Again we run into the problem of releasing quickly or releasing
> "stabley".  We have to make a choice: keep back pacman 3 to make the
> upgrade smoother or move to pacman 3 and force some users to go hunting for
> a solution.  Either way we choose people will be critical, so this is where
> applying it to some sort of goals comes in handy.

Yeah, but it's not like it's not apparent.  pacman actually does fail
with "X and Y are missing" even a casual user is able to say "hmmm,
pacman -Ss X" to find the package.  They will be confused, sure, but
it's remedied quickly.

Going off of precedent, I think we should just go with the news item
and push to current - there have been a few major-ish changes in the
past that did similar things, and we don't seem to have an easy way
out of this.

Can I get a consensus that posting a news item with an easy fix and
pushing to current is a good idea? Dan, do you have any additional
ideas (Simo had a few, I posted them in IRC last night)?