[arch-dev-public] pacman upgrade issue

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Wed May 9 15:16:46 EDT 2007

2007/5/9, eliott at cactuswax.net <eliott at cactuswax.net>:
> > Going off of precedent, I think we should just go with the news item
> > and push to current - there have been a few major-ish changes in the
> > past that did similar things, and we don't seem to have an easy way
> > out of this.
> >
> > Can I get a consensus that posting a news item with an easy fix and
> > pushing to current is a good idea? Dan, do you have any additional
> > ideas (Simo had a few, I posted them in IRC last night)?
> I say post a news item on date X, with links to download the pacman
> update, and libraries, for a manual install. Wait a few days after posting
> the links, and *then* push it to the repository.
> This will give you a chance to have a few early adopters, and also a way
> to get word of mouth out before hand..so if people *do* get confused on
> the go live date, they can
> a) check the new site
> b) hop into irc and people will likely know about it right away
> c) have good messaging on the forums, as well as people knowing right away.
> I think the key is messaging *before* the push to current. Get the word
> out, and then do it a few days later... preferably on a weekend so as to
> not impact weekday business as much as possible (and give people more time
> to address the odd issue that may arise).

No need to put pacman files somewhere while they are in testing already.
Users just temporarily uncomment and put [testing] section at the
_end_ of rc.conf
and then do pacman -S pacman :)

Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)

More information about the arch-dev-public mailing list