[arch-dev-public] Package cleanup - implementation

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri May 11 18:21:46 EDT 2007

Aaron Griffin schrieb:
> This is a note for the developers.  If you haven't seen the busy
> thread on the general list regarding package cleanup, this wiki page
> should cover everything:
>
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Package_Cleanup
>
> Before the end of the weekend, I'm going to move most of these
> packages based on what is there.  There are a few that are
> questionable, however, so please voice you opinions if you don't want
> things touched.

I'm fine with most of it, just two things:

- Don't touch beryl. It will be replaced with compiz when the time comes.
- I'd like to keep ogle until dvdnav support in mplayer is stable.
Despite being unmaintained upstream, it is still a good player (with a
few issues, I know)
- I don't know why we would move i18n stuff out of extra. The "default
is english, would take a lot of load away" seems arrogant, at best.
- loosing bittorrent is good IMO, it has become slow and bloated. It
uses 25% CPU on a friend's Athlon X2 3800+. Sad that utorrent has no
linux version (yet), it is THE standard bt client for windows (fast,
feature-rich, small, clean).