[arch-dev-public] Package cleanup - implementation

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri May 11 19:38:03 EDT 2007

Aaron Griffin schrieb:
>> - I don't know why we would move i18n stuff out of extra. The "default
>> is english, would take a lot of load away" seems arrogant, at best.
>
> That was my gut reaction too.  However, I know nothing about how this
> pans out, being a native english speaker... still, it might be
> worthwhile to push some of it to community and allow actual speakers
> of said language to maintain them, so that we aren't maintaining
> packages no one uses (like german, we have no german users at all,
> heh).

Maybe we should make a poll or something on what languages our user
speak and which localized packages are actually required. Most packages
provide gettext localizations, but some (kde, koffice, openoffice,
firefox, thunderbird, ...) need extra packages.

If you want, I could put a small poll script together (that is, if I can
get access to mysql).