[arch-dev-public] Package cleanup - implementation

James iphitus at gmail.com
Sat May 12 08:28:41 EDT 2007

On 5/12/07, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > That was my gut reaction too.  However, I know nothing about how this
> > > pans out, being a native english speaker... still, it might be
> > > worthwhile to push some of it to community and allow actual speakers
> > > of said language to maintain them, so that we aren't maintaining
> > > packages no one uses (like german, we have no german users at all,
> > > heh).
> >
> > Maybe we should make a poll or something on what languages our user
> > speak and which localized packages are actually required. Most packages
> > provide gettext localizations, but some (kde, koffice, openoffice,
> > firefox, thunderbird, ...) need extra packages.
>
> I'd like to have all available localized packages maintained in the same way.
> Splitting them by "popularity" is a bad idea IMO.
>
> About community and access rights - I think most (if not all) will
> need access there because many of their favourite packages will be
> moved there, and while we're moving to shared maintainership
> philosophy - it's always better if more people who care about given
> package can update it.

Whoever's doing this, please be more careful. There was an objection
to muttng on the bottom of the wikipage, but it's been moved to the
aur anyway.

And as for i18n, leave it in the repositories for now imho, we can
make an i18n repository later. To remove it entirely, is totally
arrogant and rude.

James

--
iphitus // Arch Developer // iphitus.loudas.com