[arch-dev-public] bugtracker vs package cleanup

eliott eliott at cactuswax.net
Sun May 13 16:12:11 EDT 2007

> Jason Chu <jason at archlinux.org> wrote:
> What will the comments for AUR packages become then?  Aren't they just used
> for problems and for users congratulating people?

It was my understanding that it would be only for 'community' packages. The
general AUR packages would still use the commenting system. The general AUR
packages are 'unofficial' anyway.

> When we first wrote the system, the reason we wanted people to be able to
> post comments and not use a bug tracker was so that anyone looking at the
> package in the AUR interface would also see all the problems that people
> had brought up.  With a bug tracker, that won't be possible anymore...

It would still be possible for the general AUR users.
I see this proposal as more of a move of the TU devs off the aur system, and
more into a an Arch-dev-like system, just a separate repository (a higher
tier).

Not sure if it is good or bad. I do like the idea of having the AUR handle
only community non-build packages. For me, it crystallizes the focus of that
application.

It also makes it easier to draw a distinction between general user submitted,
and Arch supported.