[arch-dev-public] Old gtkmm package removal

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Thu May 17 07:21:13 EDT 2007

Looking at http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/7180 :
We imported these packages (gtkmm1, gtkmm2.2) because we had apps that
required it (I remember packaging gtkmm2.2 for passepartout which never
made it to our repositories). I already cleaned gtkmm2.2 and libsigc++2,
the one left here is gtkmm1 and its dependency libsigc++:

[jan at laptop pacman]$ grep gtkmm1 */*/depends
extra/ickle-0.3.2-1/depends:gtkmm1

[jan at laptop pacman]$ grep libsigc++ */*/depends | grep -v sigc++2
extra/gtkmm1-1.2.10-2/depends:libsigc++
extra/libicq2000-0.3.2-3/depends:libsigc++
extra/libuta-0.4.4-1/depends:libsigc++

[jan at laptop pacman]$ grep libicq2000 */*/depends
extra/ickle-0.3.2-1/depends:libicq2000>=0.3.2

[jan at laptop pacman]$ grep libuta */*/depends
[jan at laptop pacman]$

[jan at laptop pacman]$ pacman -Ss ickle
extra/ickle 0.3.2-1
    ickle - a icq2000 client

First, we have ickle, which requires gtkmm1 and libsigc++. Then we have
libuta, which is a library used by nothing. Given the fact that gtk1 and
especially gtkmm1 is very old and unmaintained, I would like to remove
them from the repositories or move them to unsupported. According to
archstats, there's 2 users having ickle installed, where we have lots of
users who have a different ICQ client installed (gaim/pidgin, kopete and
possibly others).

What's our opinion on this? Purge or move all these packages?