[arch-dev-public] [testing] mlocate replacing slocate

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sat Nov 3 04:26:25 EDT 2007

James Rayner schrieb:
> mlocate has replaced slocate as the default locate implementation, this is
> currently in [testing]. This was requested on the bug tracker a while
> back[1].
>
> mlocate is used by Fedora at least and unlike slocate, no longer has the
> well known midnight updatedb crawl. In all other aspects it's compatible
> with and identical to slocate.
>
> James
>
> [1] http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/4490
>
> As described by the README:
> mlocate is a locate/updatedb implementation.  The 'm' stands for "merging":
> updatedb reuses the existing database to avoid rereading most of the file
> system, which makes updatedb faster and does not trash the system caches as
> much.
> The locate(1) utility is intended to be completely compatible to slocate.
> It also attempts to be compatible to GNU locate, when it does not conflict
> with slocate compatibility.

While I think this is a good thing, this list should be informed
_before_ such a change is made and before the [arch] list is informed,
and you should wait at least a day for any objections (don't wait for
confirmation though, because then nothing will happen). Aaron was always
pushing for more communication, so let's practice it.

Despite of all that, I like your initiative.