[arch-dev-public] /opt vs. /usr

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Sun Nov 4 16:34:26 EST 2007

On Sun, 2007-11-04 at 13:37 -0500, Eric Belanger wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Nov 2007, Damir Perisa wrote:
>
> > Sunday 04 November 2007, Varun Acharya wrote:
> > | I remember there was a thread on the ML some time ago about
> > | packages still hanging about in /opt and not being moved to /usr.
> > | What's the final word on this? I ask because I want to move wicd
> > | into extra, and the source package contains binaries and a few
> > | scripts, defaulting to /opt.
>
> > |Shall I leave this as is, or move the
> > | /opt/wicd to /usr/lib/wicd ?
> > |
> > | Varun
>
> It's hard to answer this question when we don't know what /opt/wicd is or
> contains.
> But if it's not libraries, it would be better to move it to
> /usr/share/wicd.  Of course, if it's libraries, they should go in
> /usr/lib/ (or /usr/lib/wicd) and
> the executables in /usr/bin.

/usr/bin: binaries
/usr/lib/$pkgname: libexecdir, contains binaries you don't want in bin/
/usr/share/$pkgname: datadir. Only architecture independent files go
here

For /opt: We should move the last few programs from there. OpenOffice
could move to /usr/lib/openoffice, mozilla could move straight to /usr
and KDE and Qt should follow with Qt4 and KDE4.