[arch-dev-public] rebuilding the whole core repo

Daniel Isenmann daniel.isenmann at gmx.de
Tue Nov 6 11:18:34 EST 2007

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 22:17:32 +0200
Daniel Isenmann <daniel.isenmann at gmx.de> wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:36:41 +0200
> Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:
> > A new glibc 2.7 is out and it's time to build a new toolchain. After
> > each major glibc and gcc update it's recommended to rebuild every
> > pkg. Only that way you can make sure to get latest (speed)
> > improvements and fixes. This is no problem for all non-rolling
> > release distros. So far we haven't done this before. But now we
> > should try.
> > 
> > ArchLinux community strongly depends on good internet connections.
> > So for most parts of the users this will be no problem.
> > 
> > My suggestion:
> > 
> > 1) We rebuild the core repo. It's small enough to start there.
> > 
> > We run a script increasing the pkgrel, run makeworld and upload
> > everything to testing.
> > I'm not sure if makeworld {core,lib,devel,support} will run through.
> > We should test it. We could still hack a simple script doing the
> > makepkg calls one by one in the order we like. After some testing
> > this whole bunch of packages would move to core. Both needs to be
> > done for i686 and x86_64.
> > 
> > 2) The extra cleanup should be done meanwhile.
> > 
> > 3) Rebuild extra repo and fix or kick broken packages.
> > 
> > I could offer some systems to do the rebuilds. I only have slow
> > upload bandwidth.
> > 
> > Thoughts? How could help out?
> > 
> > -Andy
> I can help out. I have a good upload connection and I can offer some
> free time in the evenings. The script for automatically increasing the
> pkgrel have you get already from me. 
> For need of other scripts, just let me know. I can hack something
> together.
> I think the process you described for rebuilding the whole core repo
> first is ok. I think, we should try it.
> Daniel

I have made a little script, which increase pkgrel and rebuild the
whole core repo after increasing. At the moment I'm testing the script,
it need some more improvements and error handling. It is realized with
makeworld, which work great for this task. 

Let me do some more work on it. After the first run, I will post here
some showstoppers for automatic rebuilds (e.g. source not found or
wrong md5sums and such things for fixing it in the PKGBUILD).


More information about the arch-dev-public mailing list