[arch-dev-public] Kernel - vanilla vs patched?

ganja guru ganja.guru.x64 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 08:32:42 EST 2007

On Nov 9, 2007 5:58 PM, Tom K <tom at archlinux.org> wrote:

> /me grabs big can of worms, opens it, pours it out onto DevLand :)
>
> Two kernels - a strictly as-vanilla-as-possible kernel26 in Core, and a
> more let's-try-new-features-here kernel26extra in Extra. It could be in
> Community either, but I would see it as an official Arch package,
> supported by the dev team. I would be happy to maintain it if necessary,
> along with the usual array of external module packages -  in
> cooperation, of course, with the current kernel maintainers.

How would we draw the line as to what gets into the kernel26extra
package? Do you plan to include small but well proven functionality
patches, or will you be including experimental support for, say,
perhaps new filesystems or new wireless drivers and so on? To
rephrase, if kernel26extra becomes a reality, what exactly would go
into it, and how would this be decided?