[arch-dev-public] Migration to QT4

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Sun Nov 11 05:44:51 EST 2007

Hi,

I just finished uploading all qt related packages into [testing] (x86_64 and
i686).

As allready mentioned the following changes were made:

	qt		updated to version 4; replaces and provides qt4 from [community]
	qt-doc			"
	qt3		old qt package; /etc/profile.d/qt.sh
			was renamed to /etc/profile.d/qt3.sh
			and disabled by default
	qt3-doc		old qt-doc package

In addition to this the following packages had to be rebuilt to switch to the
new qt3 dependency. If you are the maintainer of such a package please check
my changes.

	kdelibs
	arts
	dbus-qt3
	qca
	qca-tls
	qscintilla
	poppler-qt
	lyx
	opera
	qgit
	wpa_supplicant_gui
	pyqt
	libfwbuilder
	qwt
	qwtplot3d
	eric
	oprofile
	valkyrie
	dssi
	hydrogen
	muse
	qjackctl
	mythtv
	avahi
	fwbuilder
	scribus
	licq
	twinkle-kdefree
	twinkle
	valknut
	djvulibre
	doxygen
	hpoj
	lineak_xosdplugin
	xdrawchem
	pinentry
	netgo
	spassgen
	qtparted
	gtk-qt-engine

	speedcrunch <- no source available see http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/8600

If you build a package which directly or indirectly (e.g. via kdelibs) depends
on qt3, you have to add ". /etc/profile.d/qt3.sh" to the build() function to
set qt3's environment variables. qt (version 4) is the default qt now.

In addition to this I added a psi as the first package in [extra] using qt-4.

Next steps:
	* update all packages which require qt-4 for their current version
	* review the qt-4 package:
		* should we add/remove congigure options?
		* What are those kde-copy patches?
		* do we need to split it into qt, qt-core and qt-qt3support?
			* currently there is no non-gui package which requires qt,
			  so I decided we can do this later
	* Do we need to introduce "legacy" packages for libs like
		pyqt, poppler-qt, qscintilla, qca-tls, qca?
		If we only need them for KDE there should be no problem;
		at least after the switch to KDE4
	* make sure that all qt3 packages still work
	* notify tur-users to update [community] packages according to this chagne
	* move everything to [extra] after at least one week of testing

Pierre

PS: If you use qtcurve you'll find compatible packages at
http://www.archlinux.de/~pierre/packages
--
archlinux.de