[arch-dev-public] Kernel - vanilla vs patched?

Alexander Baldeck kth5 at archlinuxppc.org
Mon Nov 12 14:42:58 EST 2007

I was never even near being worried about Tobias' decisions for
kernel26. Most times when I actually touched the PKGBUILD was to get a
rc-kernel up on my machine to try it out. Now that I have .24-rc2
running here, I have to say that if it weren't for Tobias' work, I
wouldn't have a working system to this day. Even though I don't know
what he fixed as there are no PKGBUILDs provided yet, a vanilla version
just plainly fucked my machine even before it even tried to detect my disks.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that I don't want to see anything to change in
the way he maintains the kernel at the moment. Everything added with
patches makes sense to me or doesn't affect me, so I am - and probably
98% of the users that use our stock kernel - very very satisfied.

Tobias Powalowski wrote:
 > /me disappears and takes a full timeout for an uncertain amount of time.
 > have fun guys,
 > greetings
 > tpowa

That's really too bad but I guess since for a while some of us are
constantly moody about issues with communications. I feel that we really
should have a piss up with all devs and tus rather sooner than later.
Linuxtag seemed to bring us closer to understand the email communication
of the other and also respect opinions of the other more.

This whole thread should just be locked, too bad that's not possible...

Cheers,

-H