[arch-dev-public] Improving/Simplifying Kernel PKGBUILD

Tue Nov 13 13:55:38 EST 2007

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007, Aaron Griffin wrote:

> On Nov 13, 2007 12:38 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If we do the above, and then move all comments about the patches to a
>> separate patches.list file where each could be explained, would that
>> be smart? Or would that be weird (having a file in ABS/CVS that isn't
>> actually needed for building a package).
>
> Unless we cheat and actually use it for building...
>
> $ cat patches.list
> patches=(
> #this is a patch that does crap with things and stuff
> foo
> #here is another one
> bar
> )
>

> /me shrugs

We could keep the comments for patches in the PKGBUILD but consolidate
them in a single block that will be placed at the beginning or end of the
PKGBUILD. At least, it would be better than having the source array and
the build function cluttered by patches comments.

Another solution would be to make use of pacman's Changelog
functionnality.  The patches could be commented in the Changelog upon
addition.

believed to be clean.