[arch-dev-public] [signoff] kernel26 2.6.23.1-8 and binary modules rebuilt

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 06:07:49 EST 2007

2007/11/14, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de>:
> Am Mittwoch, 14. November 2007 08:43:16 schrieb Tobias Powalowski:
> > - added TIMER_STATS option
> > -> all binary modules rebuilt against that
>
> I wonder why you enabled this. Isn't this only used for debugging? Wouldn't
> this introduce some sideeffects or performance loss?

http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/7135 requested a change in default
config to be able to use powertop utility, which is useful for laptop
users for tracking power-hungry apps.

From http://www.lesswatts.org/projects/powertop/faq.php :

What kernel options should I enable inside the kernel?

CONFIG_NO_HZ
CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS
CONFIG_HPET_TIMER
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND
CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND
CONFIG_SND_AC97_POWER_SAVE
CONFIG_TIMER_STATS

What kernel options should I disable inside the kernel?

CONFIG_IRQBALANCE
CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)