[arch-dev-public] Second list of removal candidates

Jason Chu jason at archlinux.org
Wed Nov 14 10:36:19 EST 2007

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 08:34:00PM -0500, Eric Belanger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here is the second list of removal candidates.  Please go through
> it to make sure we don't remove a package that, for some reason,
> should remain in extra. Some of the reason are actually questions
> or discussion topics so it would be nice to get some feedback on
> them. As said before, some of these packages can be depends of
> community packages. Please just dicuss them for now. I would
> prefer to do the actual removal myself. I will do so when the
> discussions will be over.
>
> =======================================================================================
>    Package        Reason to remove it or Reason to keep it. Any comments,
> concerns, etc.
> =======================================================================================
> akode	will be dependency of kde4, right? (dp)
> apmd	replaced by acpi (incorrect. needed for older machines)
> aria	Superceded by aria2?

Actually, aria and aria2 are totally different.  I think the biggest
difference is that aria is supported by FlashGot as a download manager but
aria2 isn't (aria2 has a totally different focus than aria).

> aumix	what console audio mixers do we provide?
> bidwatcher	broken: bidding in bidwatcher is indefinitely broken because eBay has forced all bidding to occur only through signed-in clients

[snip]

> efax	utilities to send and receive faxes, I guess we should keep it unless another package provides fax support
> epic4	yet another console irc client
> exim	what mta will we keep?

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't gerolde still use this right now?

We use exim for work here, so I would probably be able to maintain it if
need be.

> font-bh-ttf	should we keep it?
> font-bitstream-speedo	who uses speedo fonts?
> font-misc-ethiopic	i18n support, should be kept

[snip]

> setserial	support for serial device, should be kept unless it's no longer needed
> speedtouch	modem drivers, should be kept
> splitvt	splitvt takes any VT100 terminal window and splits it vertically into two shell windows: screen does that
> ssmtp	what mta will we keep?

I use ssmtp.  I will maintain it.

Jason