[arch-dev-public] Getting rid of the ABS <-> CVS link

Dale Blount dale at archlinux.org
Fri Nov 16 16:38:07 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-16 at 13:29 -0800, eliott wrote:
> On 11/16/07, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hey guys,
> > I wanted to bring this up here to see if anyone had any input.
> >
> > For the longest time I have hated that ABS is dependent on our version
> > control system. Not only that but we have this whole csup/cvsup thing
> > which is annoying, and _now_ we hit yet another snag: csup doesn't
> > have cvsupd, which means we can't get rid of the cvsup package on
> > gerolde.
> >
> > So yeah, CVS == headache.
> >
> > I wanted to try to get rid of this, and Dan had a brilliant idea:
> >    * Some cron job (or even cvs hook) that does a simple export of the
> > repo when it needs to.
> >    * rsyncd supplying that exports that dir
> >    * Modify 'abs' to use rsync
> >    * Boom, done
> >
> > Does anyone have any issues with something like that? Or any better ideas?
>
> Sounds full of win to me.
> 1. We already leverage rsync. It will just be some setup on our end.

We should set it up on a different hostname and port.
rsync://abs.archlinux.org:874 comes to mind.  This will allow us to run
a separate rsync service where we can force compression,etc on or off as
we see fit.

> 2. rsync is scm agnostic. If we change scm in the future, we just
> change the export dir generation sequence. To the end user, it is
> seamless.

Agreed.

> 3. It should migrate well. End users will just get the new abs
> package, and sync. There should be no need to nuke and refetch
> abs..just update with rsync.

Right.  But do we use --delete in the abs client?

> 4. One less service running on gerolde. Ever run top and watch cvsupd? lulz

rsync has spent its fair share of time at the top of top as well.

> 5. We can throttle the speed with rsyncd configuration options if we
> want. This might be a nice way to make sure people don't go crazy with
> it or something.

Yep.  See my response to #1.

> 6. Standard from the end user perspective. Lots of similar things use
> rsync. I think bsd ports can be rsync fetched, for instance.

Good to know.  Can you confirm this?

Dale