[arch-dev-public] Packages with files in /opt

Thu Nov 22 13:48:39 EST 2007

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007, Jeff Mickey wrote:

> After reading Aaron's status report, I figured this would be an easy
> thing to take care of.
>
> Here is the script I used to find these packages:
> #!/bin/zsh
>
> dirs=('/home/ftp/core/os/i686' '/home/ftp/extra/os/i686')
>
> for dir in $dirs; do
> 	for pkg in `ls $dir`; do
> 		tar -tzf $dir/$pkg | egrep '^opt' > /dev/null
> 		if [[ $? < 1 ]]; then
> 			print $pkg
> 		fi
> 	done
> done
>
> I figured I'd post the list of packages that have /opt files.  I'm
> gonna do some of these packages while I'm here on break, but if you
> see a package _you_ would rather take care of, just reply to the
> thread.  I also think that filesystem should be the very last package
> that we do.. if we ever do it.  It's probably best to keep it there so
> that way packages don't add and remove the /opt folder, it is always
> owned by the filesystem package.
>
> If you think I missed a package or one of these is wrong, just reply
> and let me know.  And here is the list of the offending packages:
> acroread-8.1.1-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz

acroread is my package. I'll do the change myself.

> chkrootkit-0.47-1.pkg.tar.gz

I am not a security expert but isn't the reason that chkrootkit is not
being installed in a directory in the PATH a security reason so that
malware can't find the executables to modify/delete them? Maybe keeping
it out of /usr  would accomplish this better.

BTW, my understanding was that we were waiting for kde4 before moving KDE
packages to /usr.

believed to be clean.