[arch-dev-public] Third list of removal candidates

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 18:22:56 EST 2007

On Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM, Eric Belanger <belanger at astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> aumix   works with oss, do we keep?
Good question.... I personally don't care. If someone is using OSS
audio, they're probably using a fancier mixer control.

> evms    Description: Enterprise Volume Management System
Isn't this an "important" one? I know no one who uses it, but I
thought it was a direct competitor to lvm

> irda-utils      Utilities for infrared communication between devices: should be kept
This looks important. I'll snag it 8)

> jetty   Description: A full-fledged production-grade lightweight Java Servlet Container
Ugh? Isn't this a big deal with the java people? Dan can you provide
some insight here?

> km (in testing) Only present in i686 testing. Contains 2 kernel modules (km_drv and km_api_drv) built for 2.6.20
Man, I rebuilt this ages ago, and no one seemed to care. I even forgot
it was there. Lets kill it off, it's hard as hell to build anyway.

> mod_python      used on Archlinux.org for django?
Hmm, is mod_python no longer used with python webapps? Or is it more
common (read: bleeding edge) to run them standalone ala rails?

> speedtouch      modem drivers, should be kept
> tiacx (in unstable)     wireless drivers, should be kept
> tiacx-mm (in unstable)  wireless drivers, should be kept
If no one has any of this hardware, maybe we can "spread the love"
around and just adopt them for the sake of it?

> wxpython        Description: A wxWidgets GUI toolkit for Python.
Are you *sure* this isn't a dep anywhere? I thought wxpython was used
in quite a lot of places

> zsh     very popular. iphitus will adopt if nobody else will
Someone want to adopt this and get it off the list? Jeff? James?