[arch-dev-public] Questionable apps in core/support

Tom K tom at archlinux.org
Thu Nov 29 03:53:39 EST 2007

Aaron Griffin wrote:
> I just came across a couple of things in core/support that seemed odd
> to me, and wanted to ask you guys what you thought:
>
> support was intended to be apps which "help out" or "support" the rest
> of core - like when installing and things like that.

Hmm, yes.. but is it not also about providing network access by all
available means? If I wanted to reinstall my laptop right now, I would
need vpn support to get to the net.

> c) openswan/openvpn/vpnc
> I'm on the fence here. I mean, I could see VPN connections being
> needed at some point during an install or something of the sort, but
> at the same time, why do we have 3 VPN apps there?

As Dale mentions, these are three distinct vpn flavours. I requested the
inclusion of openswan in core for that very reason. If we're going to
support one in core, we should support them all.

T.