[arch-dev-public] Third list of removal candidates

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 07:09:44 EST 2007

2007/11/27, Eric Belanger <belanger at astro.umontreal.ca>:

> Hi,
>
> Here is the third sublist. It contains the packages from the second list
> that for which no decision has been made plus the remaining orphans in the
> wiki list. There might be a fourth sublist if there are still some stray
> orphans remaining.
>
> If you think a package should be kept or disagree about the comments, say
> it so. If you think all these packages can be removed, also say it so. If
> you want to adopt one of these packages, please adopt it through the
> dashboard and let me know.
>
> ======================================

[skipping gnome packages that Jan answered about]

> evms    Description: Enterprise Volume Management System
I don't know who uses it but it's kinda important package.

> giftoxic        Description: A GTK frontend for the giFT daemon
It's from 2003. giFT and OpenFT are from 2004 and 2005. Oldies... :-)

> gpart   Description: Gpart is a tool which tries to guess the primary partition table of a PC-type hard disk in case the primary partition table in sector 0 is damaged
Testdisk rules here, gpart is not needed.
I've recovered >50 HDDs with Testdisk (DOS version, using since v4.1
IIRC) and it only improves with each version.

> hnb     Description: hierarchical notebook (hnb) is a curses program to structure many kinds of data in one place
Pretty interesting app for plain text console lovers. Maybe I will
maintain it in Unsupported.

> httrack Description: HTTrack is an easy-to-use offline browser utility.
Adopted.

> ipvsadm Description: The IP Virtual Server administration utility
Same category as evms - useful, but I don't know who uses it.

> irda-utils      Utilities for infrared communication between devices: should be kept
Should be kept.

kdesu provide same functionality
> libidl  unused lib
> libsvg  unused lib
Aren't they just non-specified depends? Names sound like they are/was
important somewhere.

> mrtg    Description: Multi Router Traffic Grapher.
This is used on many servers (at least in "ISP department" where I
work), I think it should stay in Extra.

> pan     Description: A powerful Newsgroup Article reader based on GTK2
Adopted by Eric. :-)

> powernowd       Do we need it? We already have cpudyn and cpufreq. As a decision been made?
Not needed. We have all needed modules in kernel and cpufrequtils to
make them usable.
(see comments in previous thread)

> revelation      Description: Password manager for the GNOME 2 desktop
Adopted.

> sharpconstruct  Description: A real-time modeller for 3D sculpt models
Adopted.
It's no longer developed, so I will move it to unsupported once it
won't work/build anymore.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)