[arch-dev-public] Cleanup/Orphans - a BIG warning!

Tue Oct 2 14:55:21 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, Aaron Griffin wrote:

> On 10/2/07, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:
>> Am Mon, 1 Oct 2007 17:17:17 -0500
>> schrieb "Aaron Griffin" <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> == Pending Tasks, Short Term ==
>>>
>>> * New Round of Package Cleanup
>>>
>>> Let's try and get this "complete" this week. I'd like to get at least
>>> 2 or 3 of us together with Eric to go through these packages and start
>>> moving them to community or unsupported.
>>>
>>> We have an internal list for this here:
>>> https://www.archlinux.org/wiki/Repo%20Cleanup/
>>>
>>> Please add candidates if you find them.
>>>
>>> Eric, when is a good time for you?

This upcoming week-end is the Canadian Thanksgiving so I won't be able to
do any Arch related stuff. Otherwise, any evening this week will be OK.
Catch me on IRC.

Regarding the fate of the package to be removed from extra, they should
only be moved to community repo if they are a dependency (or makedepends)
of a package in community. If not, they should simply be moved to
unsupported or deleted completely, whichever is best suited. It would be a
bad idea to moved them in community if none of actual TU is interested in
them. Maybe that's what you had in mind, but I just want to make this point
clear.

> So. To summarize the email above:
>
> After the core repo move, we have a lot of orphan packages, and important ones.
>
> So, let's readopt them.
>
> I am giving everyone until tomorrow night to adopt what packages you
> _want_ - first come first serve.
>
> After that, I will go through all orphans, and determine if they are important.
>
> Then, I will post a list of what we need to maintain to this ML, and
> let people adopt them.
>
> On Friday, if they are not adopted, I will assign them as I see fit.

Sounds good.

believed to be clean.