[arch-dev-public] Cleanup/Orphans - a BIG warning!

Damir Perisa damir.perisa at solnet.ch
Tue Oct 2 19:33:53 EDT 2007

Tuesday 02 October 2007, Andreas Radke wrote:
 | I just don't want to fall back into the time when Jan, Tobias and
 | me were doing the majority of packaging almost alone again. And
 | now we have to take about two architectures. Let's spread it over
 | all our shoulders.

i have around 300 pkgs in extra, but most of them are not too complex
to maintain. i was busy with other things, but i never stopped
packaging! so you were never alone. we are a (in the meantime quite
big) team  of devs, so if one is busy for a year, others can ballance
out. of course this does not mean that 3 need to do 90% of the
work :)

besides: why did you not tell from time to time? pass a line like:
"today name1, name2 and me were updating 340 packages - it was lots of
fun, but it would be cool that others join in"
such messages from time to time would let others know what you do. and
would also lead to more communication, and also more digesting
things... not outbreaks of the kind: i'm doing everything! ;)

i understand that officially, it looks quite bad having 900 pkgs
orphaned... but that's just a temporary effect... they will be picked
up by time (right guys? - do pick them up again! understand? being
nasty before christmas is bad - the hogfather is watching *g*).

the cleanup is easier, when pkgs are sorted and assigned, that i
agree... but it is no 1st priority matter. the important thing is not
to forget it! :)

if anybody has the itch to really cleanup things in a hurry, please do
not trow out things without at least consulting the person who is
mentioned as Maintainer in the PKGBUILD... do make a list, but leave
it for revision for at least one week, so that others may crosscheck
it. moving things out of the repo and back in is unnecessary and in
addition: it means also loosing the history!

keep bothering us about the issue, but do not over-hurry with it,

- D

--
                  <º)))><