[arch-dev-public] pending devtools issues

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Oct 4 17:26:56 EDT 2007

Andreas Radke schrieb:
> Beside that i have a big problem with the strict order to first upload
> the package and then commit/tag it.
> OpenOffice.org needs me 4 hours to upload. When I will not sit in front of the pc
> when it comes to commit/tag the server will reject me due to a timeout. Any idea
> if/how this can be solved?

As already mentioned, you could use ssh keys. As my /home is encrypted,
I use my key without a passphrase, but you could use a passphrase and
ssh-agent (if you lock your screen during your absence, nobody will be
able to login to gerolde). Using keys is much more secure than password
authentication anyway.

Additionally, I use ssh master mode:

[thomas at artin ~]$ cat .ssh/config
ControlPath /home/thomas/.ssh/master-%h-%p-%r

Host gerolde
HostName archlinux.org

Host cvs.archlinux.org
HostName archlinux.org

I now launch ssh -M gerolde. That creates a master connection, that all
other ssh connections to the same host are tunneled through (thus the
alias from cvs.archlinux.org to archlinux.org). The authentication
problem remains the same, but as only one connection is established, the
cvs commit and tag operations are done much quicker. I recommend to for
anyone who is working much on arch cvs/git/upload via ssh.