[arch-dev-public] Where [erxtra] ends and [community] begins

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sun Oct 14 07:06:28 EDT 2007

Pierre Schmitz schrieb:
> But the border between [extra] and [community] does not seem to be that sharp.
> Does [extra] only include the most important and essential packages? Is
> [community] only a playground and a repo full of alpha releases?
>
> Defining [extra] in a clear way should make it easier to cleanup this repo,
> too. We still have a lot of unmaintained or outdated packages.

To me this is easy: The core/extra/unstable repositories are maintained
by the smaller group of Archlinux Developers, the community repository
is maintained by the larger and less strictly controlled group of
Trusted Users.

This is the only disctinction IMO. Everything we don't want to maintain
due to lack of time and manpower will be handled by the TUs, who can
grow their numbers easily.