[arch-dev-public] Repo Distinctions

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 05:12:29 EDT 2007

2007/10/17, Paul Mattal <paul at mattal.com>:
> Damir Perisa wrote:
> > Wednesday 17 October 2007, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> >  | This is definitely an interesting proposal. See, what we have here
> >  | is two clear camps that define [extra] different ways - packages
> >  | developers maintain, or packages the distro needs.
> >
> > they are not really that cleanly separated camps.
>
> In fact, the thing to note is that they aren't really camps or people
> taking sides.. it's just about the reality of free agents working in a
> free system scratching their own itches. We want to capitalize on all
> the itch-scratching going on so it can benefit us all! If a developer
> needs to maintain a package, and he can't do so in any repo we provide,
> he'll have to go do it in private.. and the community suffers from not
> being able to benefit as effectively from his creative energy.

Again - what's wrong with committing such packages in community?
Who's prohibitting that dev from doing so except himself?

> Instead, we should give him a repo where he can maintain any package he
> wants for as long as he wants, and require him to clean up after himself
> and hand the package off or demote it to unsupported when he's had
> enough of it.

What it gives to users? We'll end up in many repos as it was with TUR
before AUR was created.

> Right now, for instance, I maintain about 30 packages in a private repo
> for this very reason.. I was not ready to commit Arch long-term,
> short-term, or otherwise to have to deal with these packages.

Again - just put them in community repo (or unsupported if you like so).

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)