[arch-dev-public] initscripts in testing

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Oct 18 12:01:36 EDT 2007

Jan de Groot schrieb:

> IMHO rc.sysinit should always enable the lo interface, unless it is
> specifically disabled (look for interfaces=(!lo) or !network in DAEMONS).
> Yes, this is inconsistent with the way we work in arch, but it will lower
> the amount of bugreports we get for this, while still giving people control
> over their lo interface if they want to disable it on purpose.

I agree on always bringing up lo. This should actually be hardcoded:
Everybody needs lo, nobody needs it any differently.

However, there should be no special handling of lo in rc.d/network in
the way you propose, as this would make the scripts ugly and non-KISS. I
don't see a problem with simply hardcoding this (you can put it right in
the beginning, even before udev if you like).