[arch-dev-public] AUFS Patches in Kernel

Paul Mattal paul at mattal.com
Thu Oct 18 14:40:36 EDT 2007

All,

I would like to request the addition of the attached patch to the
kernel PKGBUILD, to allow maintenance of an aufs package.

Aufs is a rewrite of unionfs, with different strengths and
weaknesses. The particular strength that makes it compelling is that
it handles NFS filesystems as branches of a merged filesystem both
correctly and with stability. This allows you to efficiently create
diskless workstations where each client sees his own writeable root
filesystem based off of a single filesystem image.

The impact is two small patches which need to be added to the
kernel, each of which exposes a small number of kernel function
calls which are needed by aufs.

I would appreciate if others would consider this and sign off.
Having these patches in the kernel would make us fully aufs-friendly.

I have attached the PKGBUILD patch against the current testing
2.6.13.1 kernel, as well as the two patches for your easy perusal.

Best,
Paul