[arch-dev-public] AUFS Patches in Kernel

Tom K tom at archlinux.org
Fri Oct 19 11:47:36 EDT 2007

Paul Mattal wrote:
> Tom K wrote:
>> A comment on the aufs package, now that it's in testing:
>> Normally, for packages of this kind, we provide foo (the kernel module)
>> and foo-utils (the userspace piece). This makes it easier for users to
>> work with more than one kernel.
>
> I thought about this. If someone wants to maintain aufs for some
> other kernel, I'm willing to incur the overhead of splitting the
> package, but otherwise not.
>
> What are our list of supported kernels now? I know several went away
> recently.

We have two now - mind you, one of them is kernel26mm in unstable, and I
believe that anyone who chooses to use it knows (or should know) what
they're getting into. More to the point, my opinion on foo-utils
separation is that it makes Arch more accommodating for people who want
or need to build their own kernel, as well as allowing for new official
kernel packages in the future.

T.