[arch-dev-public] [draft] - Arch Linux Logo Competition Announcement

Travis Willard travis at archlinux.org
Sun Oct 21 23:21:46 EDT 2007

Hey everyone,

Damn, I dropped the ball here - I wanted to have this draft ready
Saturday morning so you'd have all weekend to look it over and correct
all my horrid mistakes, but things came up and I got busy. :(  In any
case, I'll still give a couple of days to review the draft - I'll post
it Thursday of this week.

Anyway, here's the announcement I wish to put up for the Logo
Competition.

This will go on the homepage, in the announcements forum section, and
to the arch-announce mailing list.  One additional thread will be
created, stickied and locked, to collect submissions; I will be
filtering through my email daily and posting submissions to this
thread.  I figure this would be the cleanest way to accept submissions
without the submission thread possibly getting spammed with
non-submissions.

Anyway, here's the text:

Arch Linux Logo Competition

Hello everyone!

As you may have heard, the Arch logo as we know it is going the way of
the dodo!  We are refreshing our graphical identity, and in that
spirit we're having a logo competition, open to the entire Arch
community!

We want to know what you think of when you think Arch Linux - what logo
do you think would best suit the distribution we've all come to love?

Submission guidelines are as follows:

. Anyone can submit as many logo concepts as they wish
. Entry is freeform, with no need to base it on current logo. Be
creative!
. All entries will become property of Arch Linux.  Once the winning
entry has been chosen, we will return rights of all other logos to
their original authors, however the winning logo will remain property of
Arch.

Per submission, you will need:
. SVG sources for logo preferred.  If you don't know how to make SVG logos, but have a great
idea, visit this[1] thread; foxbunny has graciously stepped up to help with logo concepts.
. Fill out the following on this submission sheet[2] (courtesy of
foxbunny) .. Name (or alias)
.. Main logo areas (white/black/neutral BG)
.. 2-colour or Black version
.. 128x128px and 16x16px icon version
.. Colour palette used

All other fields are optional - you do not need them to create a submission, and
omission of those options will not count negatively against you.

Submit completed submission sheet attached in an email to travis AT archlinux.org.
They will be posted in this[3] thread; two weeks after the date of
this post, we will collect all submissions in that thread and judge.

Judging will be the job of the Developers, and will proceed as follows:

All submissions will be posted to the [arch-dev] private mailing list, and
developers will give their +1 to those logos they like.  They may add a +1 to
more than one submission - once all developers are accounted for, the logo with
the most +1 votes will win.
Should multiple logo submissions tie for first place, those entries will be
announced to the community, and we will have a community vote on the forums. The
logo voted highest in this case will be the winner.

Arch will retain all the rights of the winning logo, and will properly
credit the winning author in all appropriate ways.  We will want to use
the logo for additional  media - CD labels or wallpapers, for example.
The winning author, should they so desire, may create this additional
media at this point for Arch's use.  Should they decline to create this
additional media, the developers will have it created by another
willing volunteer.

Please note: there are also threads for logo concept discussion[4] and
for showing off possible concepts, without entering them into the
competition[5].  Feel free to make use of them.

Good luck to all participants, and have fun!

[1] http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=38666
[2] http://www.archlinux.org/~travis/logo-contest/submission-blank.png
[2] (URL to go here once the thread is created)
[3] http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=38051
[4] http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=290216

Please look over the announcement for anything you'd like to fix.
Thanks!

--
Travis