[arch-dev-public] [draft] - Arch Linux Logo Competition Announcement

Simo Leone simo at archlinux.org
Mon Oct 22 02:02:38 EDT 2007

On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 11:21:46PM -0400, Travis Willard wrote:

> . Anyone can submit as many logo concepts as they wish
> . Entry is freeform, with no need to base it on current logo. Be
> creative!
> . All entries will become property of Arch Linux.  Once the winning
> entry has been chosen, we will return rights of all other logos to
> their original authors, however the winning logo will remain property of
> Arch.
>
>[...]
>
> Arch will retain all the rights of the winning logo, and will properly
> credit the winning author in all appropriate ways.  We will want to use
> the logo for additional  media - CD labels or wallpapers, for example.
> The winning author, should they so desire, may create this additional
> media at this point for Arch's use.  Should they decline to create this
> additional media, the developers will have it created by another
> willing volunteer.

Ok, well I'm not a lawyer but I don't think either of these conditions
would hold a drop of water in court. Why? Because the entries are
becoming property of 'arch linux', which is not an entity. In order to
own property, or rights, or whatever, you have to be a legal entity, whether
that's a person, a corporation, or whatever. So basically you're saying
something that doesn't exist will become the owner of the rights :-/

Some quickie things that come to mind would be stipulating a license
that would let us *use* the logo (although that's not desirable, we've
already seen why we need to *OWN* it), or say that the rights become the
property of some entity we trust *glances at Aaron*. But again, I'm not
lawyer so I have no idea.

Paul, is there a chance you could give us some insight on how best to
handle this?

-S