[arch-dev-public] rebuilding the whole core repo

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 10:06:35 EDT 2007

2007/10/22, Travis Willard <travisw at wmpub.ca>:
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 15:00:59 +0200, Damir Perisa wrote
> > Sunday 21 October 2007, Travis Willard wrote:
> >  | If we're feeling REALLY ambitious, this would be a great time to
> >  | fix all the licenses in our packages - we still have over 1000 bad
> >  | licenses in extra - attached file shows packages that need work.
> >
> > good idea... regarding your list i have some items:
> >
> > * we should have the MIT licence in our common licences folder
> >
> > * we should add all possible CC licences in our common licences
> > folder ... maybe informing creative commons that we support their
> > full scheme of licencing in our licence handling (public relations,
> > networking *g*)
>
> Regarding the above two, I'm all for adding common licenses (MIT, CC) to the
> licenses package, provided we can - I remember some licenses that are pretty
> common actually differ in their text from package to package (ie. the devs of
> the software need to add their own info for copyrights or something) - we can't
> really provide a common license for those.

From Arch Packaging Standards:
The MIT, BSD, zlib/libpng and Python licenses are special cases and
cannot be included in the 'common' licenses pkg. For the sake of the
license variable, it's treated like a common license (license=('BSD'),
license=('MIT'), license=('ZLIB') or license=('Python')) but for the
sake of the filesystem, it's a custom license, because each one has
its own copyright line. Each MIT, BSD, zlib/libpng or Python licensed
package should have its unique license stored in
/usr/share/licenses/$pkgname/.

> > * LGPL2 = LGPL2.1 ? and if some pkg uses 2.0? our LGPL2 is indeed the
> > 2.1 version
>
> How significant are the differences between 2.0 and 2.1?  Isn't our GPL2 license
> 2.1 as well?

There is GPL 2.0 but no 2.1. There is LGPL 2.1 and no 2.0. Check FSF site. ;)
We should add [L]GPL 3 licenses, AFAIR there are already packages with
these licenses.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)