[arch-dev-public] Status Report 2007-10-22

Travis Willard travis at archlinux.org
Mon Oct 22 23:01:05 EDT 2007

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 19:43:34 -0500
"Aaron Griffin" <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:

> * License Updates
>
> Travis has provided us a list of packages that have broken or improper
> licenses. This stuff is becoming more and more important, so I'd like
> to get some supervision here as soon as possible.
>
> This looks like it's a task that pairs well with the core rebuild and
> extra cleanup. So, anyone participating in those tasks should keep
> this list in mind.
>
> Travis, would it be possible to get this list on the dev wiki? Or
> possibly setup as a todo list?
>
> Ref:
> http://archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2007-October/002505.html

Yeah, I can throw that up on the dev wiki or a todo list, I suppose.
I don't know how to do TODOs though - can someone walk me through it
please?

I'll update the script I have that finds these bad licenses to do
case-insensitive searches as well - that should knock off a few
that're wrongly marked "bad".  Oh, I guess I'll make it accept "MIT",
"BSD", "Python", "zlib", and "libpng" as valid licenses, but ensure
those packages reference /usr/share/licenses/ in their build function,
since they have to install the modified version of the license.

I'll get a new list made up shortly, in any case, and either wikify it
or todo it, depending on which I know how to do by that point. ;)

> * New logo competition
>
> Travis is spearheading this competition for our new logo. Sometime
> this week, we should get things started, as we have all the rules
> down.
>
> There is, however, a question of legality raised by Simo.
> http://archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2007-October/002494.html
>
> If anyone has some insight here, it'd be helpful. We need to address
> this before we move forward with this competition.

Definitely needed - as I mentioned (just now) in that ML thread, I'm
useless when it comes to this stuff.  Help?

> * ArchCon 2009: Big Baaad Idea
>
> http://archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2007-September/001614.html
>
> Ah ArchCon. There was a burst of enthusiasm at first, but it died
> down.
>
> I wonder what country would be best? Is the rest of the world still
> scared to come here to the US? Or should we go to Canada?

+1 - I'll stick you all in my backyard, eh?

--
Travis