[arch-dev-public] [draft] - Arch Linux Logo Competition Announcement

Travis Willard travis at archlinux.org
Tue Oct 23 07:58:46 EDT 2007

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 22:36:51 -0500
Simo Leone <simo at archlinux.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 10:13:04PM -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> > On 10/22/07, Travis Willard <travis at archlinux.org> wrote:

> > > Hm, yes, I agree with what you have to say here - there was a bit
> > > of a discussion on the forums about this passage too.  To be
> > > totally honest, I was winging it, trying to come up with
> > > something that both suited the best interests of Arch but also
> > > credited the original author, however I'm generally clueless
> > > about licensing - I try reading up on them as well, but it just
> > > flies over my head, try as I might.
> > >
> > > I think before we can do this contest we really need the input of
> > > someone who really KNOWS licensing - someone on the forum who
> > > apparently practices law in Belgium suggested Creative Commons as
> > > a suitable license for this - but again, I have no clue.
> > >
> > > Help?
> >
> > I think the quickest thing to do, for right now, is to pass on all
> > rights to me - that is, assuming everyone trusts me. I'm looking
> > into what it means to make Arch a fully legal entity when it comes
> > to this stuff, but for now the best idea might be to pass rights on
> > to me, in the same way that Judd used to own some of this stuff.
> >
> > >From there, when things are decided and I fully grasp the legal
> > >stuff
> > here, I will give all rights to the new "ArchLinux" entity. But I
> > can't predict how long that'd take.
> >
> > Would anyone have a problem with this? I'm more trying to
> > short-circuit this here, so we can get the context underway.
> >
> This was the "Easy Way Out" (tm) that I had in mind. We can figure out
> the details later, but for now this is the simplest (and the one i'm
> most sure of) way to do things.
>
> -S

Thayer has this to say:

------
Hi Travis,

I saw your comment on the ML and I just wanted to suggest that contest
continue as planned while the final licensing policy is settled on. We
artists can "show" our conceptual designs under copyright.  After the
contest (and assuming the license debate is settled) the chosen artist
can decide whether to proceed with the open license you choose at that
time.  If not, the next runner up could be chosen, etc.  IMO, this
legal debate is one of those things that could continue for another
week or even longer and at that point, the community enthusiasm for the
contest itself may be significantly diminished.

If we start the contest now, it gives the devs at least two weeks to
agree on the license requirements for the chosen artwork.... but that's
just my two cents :)

Thayer
-------

Thoughts?  I agree with his sentiment to get this going quickly,
however I want to make sure we've covered our butts properly.

--
Travis