[arch-dev-public] 2007.11-0.1 TEST ISO, 1 week signoff

Tobias Powalowski t.powa at gmx.de
Tue Oct 23 13:04:55 EDT 2007

Am Dienstag, 23. Oktober 2007 schrieb Dan McGee:
> On 10/23/07, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa at gmx.de> wrote:
> > Hi
> > i just placed the new "Core Dump" TEST ISO
> > to the mirrors:
> > ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/other/rc-iso/2007.11/
> >
> > 1 week testing should be enough,
> > I tested them in kvm-qemu and didn't find an issue.
>
> All sorts of problems in QEMU on windows. If I boot normal (not
> legacy) with only a CDROM drive, i get a bunch of errors like this
> (have to type them by hand):
> ata2.00: exception Emax 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
> ata2.00: cmd a0/00:00:00:00:... tag 0 cdb 0x12 date 36 in
> res 40/0000:... Emaxk 0x4 (timeout)
> ata2: soft resetting port
> ata2.00: configured for MWDMA1
> ata2: EH complete
>
> All sorts of weird stuff. ide-legacy just hung at the udev stage.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> And on another note, testing in one emulator only is not a very
> extensive procedure. Simo and I noticed differences even between qemu
> and qemu-kvm behavior (so we should at the least be testing both of
> these), not to mention booting on real hardware.
>
> I'll try to burn this sometime and boot it up on a real machine, we
> definitely need testing like that.
>
> -Dan

As i stated last time iso testing is easy:
1. use your favorite emulator (qemu,virtualbox,vmware etc.)
2. extract kernel and initramdisk from iso file
   fire up those 2 files from grub
   and install to external media like usb disk by mounting the iso manually to
   install environment
3. use real cds

greetings
tpowa