[arch-dev-public] Logo -- Concerns over developer entries.

Travis Willard travis at archlinux.org
Tue Oct 30 08:22:21 EDT 2007

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 22:47:43 +1100 (EST)
"James Rayner" <iphitus at gmail.com> wrote:

> Forwarding on some concerns over entries by developers in the logo
> competition.
>
> I havn't made an official entry, but I have been taking ideas on some
> designs, with the intention of an official entry after development.
> http://src.iphitus.org/arch-logo/conceptAB.png
> http://src.iphitus.org/arch-logo/conceptC.png
> http://src.iphitus.org/arch-logo/conceptD.png
>
> To quote:
> http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=294343#p294343
>
> " Finally, I have a more logistical concern about your potential
> submission. Rules have been laid out that devs will be the ones doing
> the initial vote on the logo, and the community only votes in the
> case of a tie. You submitting as a developer flags as an overt
> conflict of interest. Regardless of whether you vote or not on your
> design, you have no way to assure the community that nepotism won't
> come into play in the logo decision, if you submit. This will
> discourage others from submitting as they will all be starting at a
> SIGNIFICANT disadvantage as a decision maker will be creating a
> design of their own. If the developers wanted to create their own
> logo, they should not have ordained a community contest to have a
> logo created. I'm hoping all developers can appreciate this point of
> view. "
>
> So two points:
>  - Conflict of interest, easily solved
>  - Favouritism.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> James

Favouritism?  Bah, everybody knows we all hate you, James.  :P  (jk, of
course)

In all honesty, I think something like our official logo will important
enough that devs will truthfully vote for those logos that they
consider to be the best of the bunch, regardless of who submitted it -
I know that's going to be my stance - heck, my WIFE was considering
making an entry - that's got favouritism and conflict-of-interest
written all over it, but if I honestly don't like her entry, I won't
vote for it - the logo we're going to use is too important for that
kind of silly stuff.

However, we can talk about it until we're blue in the face, and if the
community is still worried, then it's the community that needs to
discuss the issue.

Would changing from a private vote to a public vote alleviate these
problems, or would that cause more issues than it solves?

--
Travis