[arch-dev-public] Xorg dummy package removal

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Fri Sep 7 07:37:33 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 18:02 +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Travis Willard schrieb:
> > To preserve convenience of installing Xorg, we're considering doing an xorg
> > group between the packages previously pulled by the xorg metapackage.  I'll
> > follow up to this email when that's done.
>
> The xorg-clients package is also empty, so dependencies should be
> removed there as well and the package should be deleted.

Both xorg and xorg-clients used to be full blown packages with all the
contents of the packages they depend on at least. These two packages
were added for upgrade purposes. So now the question is: which package
should replace xorg-clients and which package should replace xorg? Old
installations shouldn't have this package on the system anymore.
Actually, when people do have the old versions with contents on their
system, they would get file conflicts during upgrade/install of other
package, since nothing forces removal of these packages.