[arch-dev-public] Repository cleanup [current] and [base] --> [core], this weekend!

Tobias Powalowski t.powa at gmx.de
Wed Sep 12 10:31:26 EDT 2007

Hi
it's quite a long time ago we had a dev meeting, but i think there were quite
some agreement what [core] should be and we should start doing this soon.
Our next ISOs shouldn't have the big current anymore only ftp and [core].

[non-free] repository
we should add a non-free repository with stuff that is not freely
distributable, like acroread, sun java, firmware files, flash etc.
this cleanup would affect [extra] and [current]
that way we could finally have cds of [extra] too without getting into
trouble.

As Romashka said, these are the types we need to look at:
1) those that are not possible to distribute due to prohibition of original
package modification, but it does not work without modifications to
installation procedure - like vmware
2) those that are not allowed to be redistributed by EULA - like commercial
edition of virtualbox
3) those that are not allowed to be sold on a CD, but can be distributed over
internet
4) those that are just not Free Software - it's nice to have them splitted if
someone wants to have FOSS-only mirror/CD/etc

1+2 should be probably moved out of the official repositories, if not already
done.
3+4 should be ok

[core] repository
should be like [base] + some extra stuff
the question is: what is extra stuff?
imho, it should be everything that is needed for networking
free kernel network modules
free wlan stuff
all supported main filesystems

suggestion list of packages to add:
ndiswrapper
ndiswrapper-utils
wlan-ng26
rt2500
madwifi
madwifi-utils
fuse
ntfs-3g
iptables
bcm43xx-fwcutter
dosfsutils
ntfsprogs
kexec-tools
snarf
dnsutils
hdparm
bridge-utils
ifenslave
xinetd
portmap
nfsidmap
nfs-utils
openssh
netkit-telnet
screen
isdn4k-utils
capi4k-utils
vpnc
openvpn

everything else from [current] should be moved to [extra].
your opinions, lets get something done this weekend.

greetings
tpowa
--
Tobias Powalowski