[arch-dev-public] Repository cleanup [current] and [base] --> [core], this weekend!

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 12:39:16 EDT 2007

2007/9/12, Phil Dillon-Thiselton <dibblethewrecker at gmail.com>:
> As for our own DVD of [extra]...keep up, guys.  It's 2007.  DVD is
> virtually a synonym for "movie on disc" and even they are now being
> phased out in favour of downloads.  The market is moving away from
> solid state format, not towards it.  Arch is about 4-5 years too late
> for a package snapshot on hard media.
>
> Now, I am aware that there is an argument that there are some people
> in some parts of the world that don't have reliable internet access
> and so can't access the repos.  I have the following questions on this
> case:
>
> * Can someone demonstrate 10 cases of this here and now?

Easily.

> * Should these people be using a rolling release distro?

They could.
And they're happy with Arch.
There are a lot of people here that would like to [try to] use Arch,
but it's not easy for them to _start_ doing this.
Because to get a useable system it requires a lot of downloads.
A CD not enought because it contains only basic system.
I personally sent 3 sets of DVDs with all binary repos for such users.
Those users successfully installed Arch and use it now.
They get updates from Internet at home or at job, though it requires
much time to download them. But wouldn't be possible for them to get
full-ffeatured working environment without those hundreds of megabytes
that I supplied to them on DVDs.

> * Why can't they make one DVD for multiple uses themselves?

They don't need a DVD, they need packages! And packages can be easily
shipped on DVD when there's bad internet connection.

> * What is the benefit to Arch of producing a DVD?

Money? ;-)
From http://www.archlinux.org/download/:
"CDs are available for purchase from OSDisc.com. For each CD
purchased, a portion of the money goes to the Arch Linux Project."
If I would have the choice to buy a CD and then download hundreds of
megabytes to get feature-rich working evironment or just buy a DVD
with everything included - I'd definetely choose a DVD. ;-)

Besides, it's easier to anyone to just burn ISO or duplicate disc
without even knowledge what pacman () is and how to script the process
of license filtering.

> * Why can't creation of the DVD be scripted using pacman features (as
> outlined above)?

This requires pacman to be installed on a system when DVD will be
prepared, which may not be the case (e.g. DVD-maker is using another
distro).
User can just burn/copy disc from Windows!
Besides, AFAIK pacman does not include license filtering features yet.

> * If a lack of a DVD is restricting our audience then when did we care
> about that?
>
> I know my opinion is hardly a deal breaker but I just don't get the
> point of this whole non-free thing.

Now, could we please back on topic?

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)