[arch-dev-public] [core] progress

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Fri Sep 14 18:56:48 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 17:21 -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On 9/14/07, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa at gmx.de> wrote:
> > - gcc splitup is pending
>
> JGC, do you know how long this will take?

I didn't have time for it tonight, so I think it will be done somewhere
tomorrow. Seems there's some issues with this libgcc thing, there's
multiple views on what to include.

IMHO, the new gcc layout would be:
- gcc-libs
- gcc
- gcc-fortran
- gcc-java
- gcc-objc

gcc-libs contains all libraries that would go in a gcc build where only
C and C++ are enabled, the rest of the packages would be built as
gcc-java and gcc-fortran are currently built. We could splitup these
things into runtime and compilers also, but especially for java I don't
see need (we would have to splitup java-gcj-compat into two pieces also,
which is a no-go).

Another option is to make one massive gcc package that includes
compilers for all these languages. Once again, there's problems with
java that pulls in X. As we have fortran and java standalone packages
already that work out fine, I would prefer to have the splitup as layed
out above: C/C++ in one compiler package, C/C++ runtime libs in one
package and one package for each language we support (objc moves to a
standalone pkg).

> > - syslogng needs to be reviewed
>
> eliott brought up a worthwhile point. While it might be ugly, what's
> wrong with throwing glib into the 'devel' category?

glib2 is not devel, it's a lib!

Also, why do we call a directory full of drivers "support"? Why not
drivers or so?