[arch-dev-public] New fglrx drivers - no official package.

Tom K tom at archlinux.org
Sat Sep 15 04:04:06 EDT 2007

Travis Willard wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:36:02 -0400
> "Travis Willard" <travis at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> Any thoughts or suggestions, just reply to this thread. :)
>
> Actually, anyone have any issues with my putting them in unstable?
> That seems to make the most sense, after thinking about it.
>
> If there's no comments in the next 12h or so I'll go ahead and upload
> them - I don't think there'll be much of a problem with it.
>
> --
> Travis

Uh, an observation. I've always understood that unstable package names
should not clash with names in other repos - hence, mplayer-svn,
gimp-devel, etc. This is certainly what we say on the relevant wiki page:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Official_Repositories
and it is also this convention that allows us to state, also on that
page, that enabling the unstable repo is safe, because unstable packages
will never overwrite current/extra packages. Finally, it allows those
who decide to use unstable to install the packages with the standard
pacman -Sy foo, rather than the slightly clunkier pacman -Sy repo/foo.

Sorry I missed the 12h cut-off, btw - all kinds of crap going wrong
around here. :)

Tom.