[arch-dev-public] New fglrx drivers - no official package.

Travis Willard travis at archlinux.org
Sun Sep 16 08:13:09 EDT 2007

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 12:05:15 +0300
"Roman Kyrylych" <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2007/9/16, eliott <eliott at cactuswax.net>:
> > > Bah, the more I think about this, the less I want to pollute the
> > > package namespace (and replaces, conflicts, provides entries on
> > > fglrx* packages) with some gimpy name like fglrx-unstable, and
> > > I'd rather just make a custom repo and be done with it.
> > > "Early-adopters" have had their shot at a package in unstable. ;)
> > >
> > > Is it OK if I host a custom repo for the new fglrx in my
> > > public_html dir on gerolde?  I don't have any better place to put
> > > it.
> >
> > Hmm...
> > I guess it depends on how much usage you expect it to get.
> >
> > If you are expecting alot of bandwidth to be used, then we could
> > probably put it in the ftp folder under /other/. Please don't put it
> > in the root of ftp though..
> >
> > However, I really think unstable is the right place to put packages
> > that need testing though. I mean... what else will it be used for if
> > not for new packages to test?
> >
> > What benefit does a custom folder have over unstable?

Well, unstable names aren't supposed to clash with names in extra - if
they stay in unstable, I need to rename them.  I'd rather not make up
some gimpy name for them, because then I'd have to add that to replaces
and conflicts in the next release of the drivers that went to [extra],
which is kinda ugly for a one-shot thing.

A custom repo'd allow me to use the same names.

> They are not CVS/SVN/etc. version.
> /me wonders - why don't put them in Testing?

Well, I suppose it could work - but they'd never leave testing, so it
seems kind of odd I guess.  Thinking about it, I suppose that would
make the most sense if I wanted it in one of the 'official' repos.

Also, if I were to put them into testing, I'd have to do a CVS checkin
into [extra], and I'm not sure where we stand with checkins to extra
yet due to the core repo stuff.

--
Travis