[arch-dev-public] ISO Release naming scheme

Paul Mattal paul at mattal.com
Wed Sep 19 15:51:10 EDT 2007

Jeff 'codemac' Mickey wrote:
> * On Wednesday, September 19 2007, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
>
>> Or we could just use the unix time stamp: Arch-1190222877.iso. This way we
>> could release up to 60 isos per minute without naming conflicts. :-)
>
> I don't know if it's silly, but I actually don't mind this at all.  Though
> almost our entire user base will be confused by poorly written press
> releases done on some random site. "ZOMG ArchLinux version 1190222877 has
> been released!", "ArchLinux Hard at Work with it's Billionth Release!.
> It'll appear like we've been doing a lot of work between releases as well.

While we're painting that bikeshed, I guess we may as well give it
another coat.

So I'll point out that, although I still think 1 per day is fine, we
could do YYYY.MM.DD.HH.SS. I don't think being limited to 1 release
per second is really a problem!

Meaningful numbers that parse visually but also alphanum sort
correctly are cool things.

- P