[arch-dev-public] Idea: ArchLinux News

Paul Mattal paul at mattal.com
Thu Sep 20 14:47:26 EDT 2007

I know we are all inundated with sources of Arch Linux news and have
tried various blogs and ideas that haven't worked well in the past,
but I had a new twist on this idea.

What if we set up a CMS allowing anyone to submit articles, and then
assembled a small group of moderators with community track record
and good language/editing skills who would triage/read/edit the
articles/posts? This would create a more meaty way to generate
interesting thought in the Arch community, and provide a more
serious "publication" about Arch without extreme amounts of effort.
If we used software optimized for this (there must be many choices),
then approving posts and doing minor edits would be little work for
the moderators.

I'm imagining something like a Slashdot model for post/moderation
but with more meaty new ideas and news by the poster. Essentially
this would be a way to get your interesting material read and heard
by the Arch world, regardless of how long you've been here or what
positions you may have in the community.

Content guidelines I would suggest:

* should be related to Arch Linux and be of general interest to
someone interested in Arch and the community
* posts should provide some new information and reflect some new
thoughts by the writer; these are intended to be "articles" that
will enrich the community, and we want more than just a link to
another post or an open-ended discussion-starter question
* should be well-written and require as little editing as possible;
the closer the submission is to press-ready, the less work the
moderators will need to do and the more likely your post is to be
accepted
* submitted posts become openly licensed and are subject to editing
by the moderators

If such a system could be set up, I'd be willing to moderate
regularly, and post occasionally.

I could see this also as replacing the "news" on the main page, but
also enriching it significantly. The nice part is that it would
provide one single place people can go for their important Arch
news. Of course, people are always free to look elsewhere-- but we'd
guarantee a high-quality product with interesting news you'd want to
read.

What do folks think? Anyone have experience with using a CMS in this
manner where anyone can create posts and moderators
edit/approve/post them? Are there refinements of this idea that
would work better?

- P