[arch-dev-public] nfs init script changes

Tom K tom at archlinux.org
Fri Sep 21 17:44:30 EDT 2007

Ever since http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/7368 was raised, back in the
summer, I've intended to do this, but life has been less than
cooperative. Now that we have the new nfs-utils/util-linux-ng setup in
place, it seems like a good time to address it, finally.

The nfs-utils tarball includes this README:
http://www.linux-nfs.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=nfs-utils;a=blob_plain;h=e2196dab8627cffced6048e9804db00e95d52f5e;f=README
which details the preferred daemon startup order for both server and
client. There are significant differences between the order described
there and our current nfs scripts, notably the omission of the
/proc/fs/nfsd mount and the sm-notify command. I have edited the main
/etc/rc.d/nfsd script accordingly, and I have also made changes to
/etc/rc.d/nfslock and /etc/conf.d/nfs as required. I'd like to
acknowledge shazeal's contribution, posted in the above-mentioned bug
report, and also the 'inspiration' provided by the equivalent Gentoo
scripts. ;)

The end result works fine here, on my server-&-3-clients setup - mounted
shares are retained/remounted over both server and client reboots. I'm
inclined to put it straight into core, but being naturally cautious, I'm
opting instead for a 'cooling-off' period, during which any peer who
feels like doing some reviewing is more than welcome.

The package is here:
http://www.archlinux.org/~tom/packages/nfs-utils-1.1.0-2-i686.pkg.tar.gz
and the build files are here:
http://www.archlinux.org/~tom/packages/nfs-utils/

Unless there are valid objections, I'll put this up in 24 hours,
accompanied by appropriate changes to the NFS wiki page.

And just so it's clear - as with the current scripts, these ones handle
nfsv2/3 only. Once this is in, I intend to look at nfsv4.

Happy Friday
T.